Blockchain technology is gaining an ever-firmer foothold in the business community, not least because of the promise of efficiency improvements in various sectors. The potential impact of blockchain technology is being studied using practical cases and pilot schemes all over the world, and very much so in the Netherlands. Below are a few examples where TNO is involved in the research of blockchain in the industry field.
Blockchain White Paper
The ‘Governance and Business Models for Blockchain Business Ecosystems’ White Paper contains an analysis of existing blockchain technologies and is intended to provide knowledge and inspiration to organizations and consortia that are considering the deployment of blockchain, to enable them to carefully balance all the factors.
Identity solution for citizens
The Self-Sovereign Identity Framework (SSIF) – which is based on blockchain technology – means that citizens can use digital personal data both online and offline. With the SSIF, you gather information about yourself that is held by other parties, such as the government, banks, employers, insurance companies and education institutes. You yourself determine with which parties you share the information. See a video about this solution below.
Blockchain and agri-food: a fertile combination
The ‘Blockchain for Agri-food’ project is a TNO and Wageningen University & Research pilot scheme that is aimed at looking what impact blockchain technology could have on the agri-food sector, and at what is needed in order to apply the technology in agri-food supply chains. With the help of a real-life case involving the importing of grapes from South Africa, an examination is being made of whether and how blockchain can help improve compliance with foodstuffs certificates.
Read here the article entitled 'Pilot project shows that blockchain and agri-food are a fertile combination'.
Making the impossible possible
What could blockchain mean for the sharing economy, device autonomy and the ‘autonomy of things’? In the Techruption programme, KPN and TNO are jointly developing a series of practical cases, together with interested consortium partners. “What I really like about all the excitement around blockchain is that there are suddenly large numbers of people again who are daring to think the seemingly impossible,” explains TNO’s Oskar van Deventer.
Want to know more? Read the article entitled, ‘Doing the seemingly impossible, thanks to blockchain’.
Blockchain and start-ups
It is expected that start-ups will be the very ones who can benefit from blockchain technology. The advantage that blockchain offers start-ups is the possibility of appealing to a worldwide market in one go. Moreover, it is unexplored territory - a field on the move with room for new players. The Brightlands Innovation Factory, which will begin operation after the summer, will be supporting start-ups in this area.
Read here how blockchain can benefit start-ups.
More about blockchain
- Wessel Kraaij of TNO recognized as Distinguished Member of the ACM for outstanding contributions to computingtno.nl
- National Big Data Infrastructure will boost pre-competitive researchtno.nl
- TNO’er honoured internationally for his contribution to the reliability and optimisation of telecom networkstno.nl
- Internet stability not jeopardised by expanding domain name extensionstno.nl
- IBC 2016 sees Industry’s First Ultra High Quality Virtual Reality Streaming Solutiontno.nl
- Blockchain: from automatic energy bill settlement to payments without bankstime.tno.nl
- Video: what is a blockchain?time.tno.nl
- Techruption offers the environment and conditions to make blockchain flourishtime.tno.nl
- Blockchain gives container transport in the port of Rotterdam an added boosttime.tno.nl
- Blockchain security by design: innovation and security hand in handtime.tno.nl
- Doing the seemingly impossible, thanks to blockchaintime.tno.nl
- How can blockchain benefit start-ups?time.tno.nl
- Pilot project shows that blockchain and agri-food are a fertile combinationtime.tno.nl
- Internship/Graduationproject: Automated ICT Infrastructure Modeling for Cyber Security Analysistno.nl
- Open application - Senior System Engineer Space Instruments - Delfttno.nl
- Junior/Medior Mechanical Architect | Delfttno.nl
- Coatings Engineer | Delfttno.nl
- Test Engineer Space Instruments | Delfttno.nl